Residential and Overnight Stays

Residential events are fun and some of the most memorable experiences girls and young women have with guiding. They offer opportunities for adventure and also for learning and developing skills like teamwork, leadership and independent living. Leaders get to know their girls better in a relaxed environment. Our residential advisers are here to support leaders.

Going Away With Scheme

The Going Away With Scheme is a flexible, modular adult training qualification. Candidates need only complete the modules required for their responsibilities at an event. For more information on the scheme click the link below.

Going Away With Scheme Flow Chart

Going Away With Scheme Assessment Form

This form is currently available from your commissioner or via our Outdoors team. Please contact

Guide Camp Permit

Guides have the exciting opportunity to work towards the Guide camp permit. This permit will give you a taster of the skills and knowledge to lead your friends on camping trips.
The Guide camp permit enables you to take between four to eight Guides (including yourself) away for a camping experience for two nights or more.

Lead Away Permit

Rangers and young leaders have the exciting opportunity to work towards the Lead Away permit - aimed at equipping you with the skills and knowledge to lead your friends on residential trips away. The Lead Away permit enables you to take between four to eight Rangers or young leaders (including yourself) away for a residential experience for two nights or more

Approved Residential Venue List

Please find below details of approved residential venues in Essex North East. Information is as accurate as possible but it is best to contact venue owners directly for the most up to date information including costs. It is advisable to visit a venue before booking. If you have any updates, please contact a member of the Outdoor Activities Team.

Risk Assessments

Risk Assessments will be needed for each event, travel to/from the event and activities during the event. They help you look at an event from all angles and imagine ‘what if’ scenarios. They are working documents that are updated throughout the planning process.

Residential Event Notification (REN) Form

At the start of planning your residential event you should speak to your commissioner and send them the first part of the Residential event notification (REN) form.

Residential Events Trainings

Events of upcoming trainings will be posted here