The Standard was dedicated by the Rt. Reverend the Lord Bishop of Chelmsford at a service in honour of the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at the Cathedral Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Chelmsford on Saturday, 30th May 1953.
The Standard was designed by Mrs Coleman Smith, Essex Lone Secretary, and approved by the College of Heralds. The silk was woven by Warner’s of Braintree, and worked by 314 members of the Movement in Essex. The Royal School of Needlework cut out, advised, and made up the Standard.
At the hoist, quarterly first and fourth, the Essex County Badge; second and third, the World Flag at the fly, a motto band “Be Prepared”.
The fly is divided lengthways, blue above – symbol of grassy fields, forests and outdoor life. The main emblem, between the hoist and the motto band shows a Viking ship. Three dolphins fill the intervening spaces.
On the fly there are two wheels of Boadicea’s Chariot, the British Warrior Queen of East Anglia; the True Cross of St. Helena, mother of Constantine the Great; and a sheaf of corn, showing Essex is an agricultural county. The Border has a white wavy line, showing Essex is sea-girt on three sides, interspersed with the Guide County Badges. It measures 8 feet long by 2 feet 6 inches wide.
County standard sew on and metal badges are available to purchase please enquire via our contact us page.
Metal badges £2.50
Cloth badges £1